Sunday, 11 December 2011

I grew up in a small town called Hankey




I feel so overwhelmed
when I ponder over these seemingly austere surroundings
where I ran around as a soft wind was the only thing
that caressed my naked skin
and dry leaves rustled in my tangled hair without care.

I am still entranced by vivid memories
of yesterday when my grandmother always-
without fail-
had an extra plate for any king or commoner
who came her way
as she stood tall and humble before the universe.

So what better place to be after they shipped
you miles away from home-

to ridicule you and spit on you.

destitute and alone
you roamed around their streets
diminished
and cold
as they gently carved up your soul;

and only upon Mandela's request
the western world relinquished their hold
and send our Sarah Baartman home.



(My hometown-Hankey-Hankey is located in the Eastern Cape in South Africa.It is a small town on the confluence of the Klein and Gamtoos rivers. On August 19,2002, the remains of Saartjie Baartman were laid to rest on Vergaderingskop, a hill on the edge of town.)

No comments:

Post a Comment